Release Readme Best Practice
This page's goal is to develop a common template for REAMDE or README.[txt|md] files to be included in software releases for the 52°North downloads section
. For an overview of all best practices at 52°North see BestPractices
Releases without README (not a complete list!):
- WPS (only war file)
- WPS OL client
- WPS uDig client (jar only)
File Names (Discussion)
- IMHO the release notes / read-me file should be ony file only and called README (no extension). If the information is split up, e.g. into INSTALL and CHANGES files, they must be referenced in the README. -- DanielNuest - 2012-05-25
(Based on own file, SOS, SIR and ILWIS.)
README for 52°North <service/software name> version <semver version string>
<a short sentence about the product>
http://52north.org/<link to software or community page>
* <a list of files / folders in this package, and short description if applicable>
* 52N_license.txt : The license of <this software>.
* InstallationGuide.pdf : A printer-friendly version of the online installation guide available at http://...
* /src : The source files of <software name>.
* /bin : Executable binaries of <software name>.
<List the changes in this release.>
<Alternatively an external reference: An overview of the changes in this release can be found in the CHANGES file.>
* ... <if applicable add id of the bug in Bugzilla>
Installation instructions ...
Download, Sources, Support and Contact
The latest release of ... can be downloaded from this website:
The source code is available at GitHub:
You can get support in the community mailing list and forums:
If you encounter any issues with the software or if you would like to see
certain functionality added, let us know at:
The <commmunity name here!> Community
52°North Inititative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH, Germany