The laboratory of Environmetry and Geomatics (UCL/AGRO/MILA/ENGE) is looking to hire a young and recently graduate scientist in the field of exact sciences, for an initial duration of 9 months starting October 1st, 2009, in partnership with the Belgian Interregional Environment Agency (CELINE‐IRCEL) and the Brussels Institute for Environmental Research (IBGE).
Objectives and description of the position
Research topic is about the stochastic space‐time analysis and modelling of pollutants concentrations (fine particles and others) in order to assess and monitor air quality in the city of Brussels, Belgium. This work will be conducted in close collaboration with the aforementioned entities. The candidate will be hired on an initial contract of 9 months, funded by the Brussels regional government, with the objective of extending this contract through alternate funding in the meantime.
Expected candidate profile
- master diploma in bioengineering, civil engineering, physics, mathematics (statistical orientation) or equivalent diplomas
- great fondness for statistical data analysis and modelling
- good practice and mastering of computer software?s in statistics and mathematics (especially Matlab, but additional knowledge in SAS, R, S+ and C++ are welcome as well)
- a clear interest for a research work and for the perspective of a Ph.D. work
- good communication skills in English (written reports, oral presentation, etc.)
knowledge in French/Dutch is welcome as well.
The candidate will work mainly inside the Environmetry and Geomatics (UCL/AGRO/MILA/ENGE) research team of the Universite catholique de Louvain, Louvain‐la‐Neuve (Belgium), under the close supervision of the Belgian Interregional Environment Agency (CELINE, http://www.irceline.be/
The interested candidate will submit his detailed curriculum vitae, along with a motivation letter and if possible a reference letter as well. All correspondences should be sent through e‐mail or regular mail to the following address:
Professeur Patrick BOGAERT Email: patrick.bogaert(at)uclouvain.be
Universite catholique de Louvain Tel : +32 10 47 36 82
UCL/AGRO/MILA/ENGE Fax: +32 10 47 88 98
Croix du Sud, 2, Bo?te 16,
1348 Louvain‐la‐Neuve, Belgique.