Browser-based rename, move, copy, and delete for individual webs
What are Webs?
A Foswiki site is divided into "Webs", or groups or topics - each one represents one subject, one area of collaboration. Administrators can add, rename or delete webs.
At file level, a Web is a directory located inside the
directory, with text files as topics.
A number of Webs are fixed:
to store user pages and site-wide preferences,
for the topic recycle bin.
Other webs can be created as needed.
Create a new web
To use this form you must be administrator.
Before you begin: consider that less webs are better than more webs. Cross-linking topics is easier, and searches are faster, if there are only a few larger webs.
When adding a new web, please update the notification script running on
In-depth info on Webs
Subweb preferences are inherited
of a subweb are inherited from the parent web and overridden locally. Preferences are ultimately inherited from the DefaultPreferences
Example Preference Inheritance for
System.DefaultPreferences default settings
Main.SitePreferences site-wide settings inherits from and overrides settings in
Sandbox.WebPreferences inherits from and overrides settings in
Sandbox/TestWeb.WebPreferences inherits from and overrides settings in
Sandbox/TestWeb/SubWeb.WebPreferences inherits from and overrides settings in
Sandbox/TestWeb/SubWeb.SubWebTopic inherits from and overrides settings in
The default Pattern skin indicates Subwebs by indenting them in the sidebar relative to their level in the hierarchy.
Renaming or Deleting a Web
Rename a web via the Tools section in each WebPreferences
topic. You may delete a web by moving it into a Trash web.
You may only rename a web if you have the following permissions
- You must be allowed to rename and changes topics in the web you want to rename
- You must be allowed to rename topics in the parent web of the web you want to rename
- If the web is a root web (i.e. it has no parent web) then you must have permission to both create and rename root webs. These permissions are controlled by the ALLOWROOTCHANGE preference, which can be set in SitePreferences.
- If you move the web to another parent web you must be allowed to create and change topics in the new parent web. When you rename a web Foswiki will try and update all links that refer to the old web. You should note that links only get updated in topics that you are allowed to edit. If you use access rights in the Foswiki installation it is generally best to let an administrator rename webs to avoid too many broken links.
Renaming the webs in the distribution
It is possible, though not recommended, to change the names of the webs in the distribution. If you plan to rename the Main web, remember that Foswiki stores user topics in this web. That means that every WikiName
- points to it and would need updating (unless the macro style
, is used throughout). This potentially large change can be performed automatically if you rename the web from the Tools section of WebPreferences
, as described above.
Related Topics: AdminDocumentationCategory
If you want to rename the System or Main webs, remember they are referred to in the Foswiki configuration. You will need to change the
settings in the configuration using the configure
Renaming the webs in the distribution is not recommended because it makes upgrades much more complicated.